February 21, 2026

Another Kenyan killed in Russia-Ukraine war, family seeks help to repatriate body

A family from Timboroa in Baringo County is seeking help to repatriate the body of their kin, who reportedly died in the war between Russia and Ukraine.

A family from Timboroa in Baringo County is seeking help to repatriate the body of their kin, who reportedly died in the war between Russia and Ukraine.

A family from Timboroa in Baringo County is seeking help to repatriate the body of their kin, who reportedly died in the war between Russia and Ukraine.

25-year-old Kevin Kang’u travelled to Russia in September last year under a student Visa, after he reportedly got a scholarship to study in the foreign nation.

Their call comes days after an intelligence report said that 1,000 Kenyans were recruited into the Russian military in the ongoing war, under the lure of jobs.

Jacob Njihia, Kevin’s father, said: “Mail ilikuja inasema ako successful kama bado ako interested, akajibu akasema ako interested…akaambiwa aende after two weeks.”

The family says Kevin was required to undergo military training before beginning classes. For about two months, these pictures were a comfort to his family before the line went cold on October 28.

Kindiki defends Uhuru Kenyatta in Mount Kenya charm offensive

Linda Mwananchi campaign truck donated to Sifuna stoned in Kisumu

Police intercept driver ferrying explosives from Tanzania to Kenya

Babu Owino’s brother-in-law released after arrest

Two months later, the family received news that Kevin died in December, while battling on the frontline in the war between Russia and Ukraine.

“Nikapata courage nikamuuliza sasa kama imeenda hivyo mwili nitapata namna gani ama ikienda hivo mwili nitapata namna gani, kijana akaniambia frontline ni kubaya na kupata mwili ni ngumu huko ni marisasi usiku na mchana hivyo ata recovery team kuingia huko kupata mwili ni ngumu,” stated Njihia.

Janet Jelagat, Kevin’s mother, said: “Ombi langu kwa serikali na ninaamini sana ni watusaidie mahali wanaweza maana tumefika mwisho na naamini watatusikia na watatushika mkono.”

The family is now holding on to hope that they shall at least get closure by receiving the body and according Kevin a decent burial.

The revelation comes a day after the Russian Embassy in Nairobi denied allegations of its staff being involved in the recruitment of Kenyans to fight in the ongoing conflict in Ukraine.

In a statement released on Thursday, the Embassy termed the claims as “dangerous and misleading propaganda campaign,” citing that its staff has never issued Visas to Kenyans who travelled to Russia with the sole purpose of joining the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.

Student charged for publishing fake information on Ruto sues Safaricom for Ksh200 million

President Ruto pledges to settle Ksh.2B Methodist University debt

My net worth is Ksh.500 million – Mama Ida Odinga

KRA sets date for commencement of all nil tax returns filings

“I did not kill Sharon Otieno” – Okoth Obado in his final submission

Follow us

FaceBook

Telegram