April 3, 2025

KNUT calls off planned teachers’ strike

KNUT calls off planned teachers’ strike

The Kenya National Union of Teachers (Knut) has withdrawn the notice it had issued for teachers’ strike from Monday, August 26

The Kenya National Union of Teachers (Knut) has withdrawn the notice it had issued for teachers’ strike from Monday, August 26.

The Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT) has directed teachers to report to work for third term after it withdrew the strike notice that was to elapse at midnight.

On Sunday, Knut National Executive Council shredded the notice after holding a meeting at the union’s headquarters in Nairobi.

“The NEC having considered all options in the developments of these matters and the level of commitment by both the Government, the Employer (TSC) and the Teachers’ position in driving the Education Agenda has today directed the Secretary-General to withdraw the Strike Notice,” Oyuu stated.

Secretary-General Collins Oyuu said the decision was to give the Teachers Service Commission time to address their major demands.

The union called of the strike amidst uncertainty over the conversion of 46,000 intern teachers to Permanent and Pensionable and the employment of 20,000 more to address the teachers’ shortage.

KNUT has also raised concerns that the Teachers Service Commission has not provided the time frame and the framework of promoting teachers.

The Commission only informed them that 51,232 teachers had been promoted with no commitment on the status of the remaining 78,768 teachers.

“The NEC however, is not fully convinced with the answers to the following demands. The Union is concerned about political utterances and unconfirmed promises from Public Leaders and Government representatives that are causing confusion on some sensitive matters,” the KNUT Secretary-General said.

Mr Oyuu called on all Knut members to report to school on Monday.

Reacting to the announcement, Education Cabinet Secretary Julius Migos has asked parents to ensure their children report to school on Monday.

The CS thanked Knut for calling off the strike and pledged to address teachers’ pending grievances.

Five family members killed in road accident along the Eldoret-Malaba highway

Strike is officially on; KUPPET warns parents, teachers ahead of school reopening

CS Mbadi changes tune on JSS teachers employment ‘there’s money’

Telegram CEO Pavel Durov arrested

Gov Orengo makes U-turn Ruto’s broad-based government

Confusion as Ruto contradicts CS Oparanya on Hustler Fund defaulters

Babu Owino opens up on relationship with Raila after declaring himself the opposition leader

In the deliberations held last week between KNUT and the teacher’s employer commission, they reached a consensus on the 2nd phase of the Salary Award for teachers which will be factored in the salaries in arrears for August 2024.

The implementation of Phase Two of the 2021-2025 Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) was the only issue that was resolved as at last week.

“This gives room for the commencement of the CBA 2025/2029 cycle in respect to Section 3 on effective date and duration and specifically Section 3.3 which states that components of a running CBA can only be repealed by a new on,” Oyuu stated.

The third-party deductions that were delayed were remitted to Commercial Banks, Teachers Saccos, Teacher’s Investment Schemes, and other legal liabilities therein.

The teachers’ Medical Scheme which has been a sticky issue due to access of health care services the Commission asserted that teachers will continue accessing both Public and Private hospitals for services.

Also read,

Tragedy as 19-year-old man falls into Indian Ocean

Doctors’ union KMPDU issues strike notice to 11 counties

ODM hints at supporting Ruto in 2027 elections

Government should ignore Safaricom; Governor Kang’ata says on Starlink internet

Family in agony over the missing son 60 days since parliament protest

CS Joho storms Madini House, orders administrative action against staff

Follow us

FaceBook

Telegram

error: Content is protected !!