Niger coup leaders cut off electricity, water to French Embassy with no food allowed

Diplomatic tensions between Niger coup leaders and France escalates as the administration cuts off water and electricity supply to French Embassy
Diplomatic tensions between Niger coup leaders and France escalates as the administration cuts off water and electricity supply to French Embassy.
Niger’s military administration has cut off water and electricity to the French Embassy in the capital Niamey with no food deliveries allowed, according to multiple reports.
The country’s leadership has also taken similar action at the French consulate in Zinder, the reports said.
The president of the National Support Committee for the National Council for the Safeguarding of the Country (CNSP), Elh Issa Hassoumi Boureima, has asked all partners of French bases in Niger to suspend all water and electricity supplies and food products, said the reports.
In addition, any partners who continue to help the French in the process of supplying the goods and services will be considered “enemies of the sovereign people,” the reports added.
The reports come after a two-day deadline given by the military administration to the French ambassador to leave the country expired Sunday.
Amid tensions that have risen in the weeks following the ouster of the West African nation’s democratically elected President Mohamed Bazoum, the administration’s Foreign Ministry gave Ambassador Sylvain Itte 48 hours to “leave Nigerien territory.”
Niger was plunged into turmoil on July 26 when Gen. Abdourahamane Tchiani, a former commander of the presidential guard, led a military intervention that ousted President Bazoum.
France launched an operation earlier this month to evacuate its citizens as well as other nationals from Niamey.
Italian investors pleads with Ruto after losing investments worth billions to fraudsters
2027 elections will be a walkover for William Ruto, Atwoli
Karua rejects any changes to the 2010 Constitution
Azimio lawmaker exposes powerful office in KPLC running crooked power supply scheme
Meanwhile, hundreds of protesters gathered near a French military base in Niger’s capital Niamey on Sunday to demand the withdrawal of French troops from the country.
The demonstrators carried placards with anti-French slogans and demanded the immediate withdrawal of French troops from the country while also calling for the removal of French ambassador, Sylvain Itte.
Itte is accused of ignoring an invitation for a meeting at the Foreign Ministry and other actions of the French government deemed contrary to Niger’s interests.
In response to the order, France issued a statement through its Foreign Ministry saying “the putschists do not have the authority to make this request, (with) the ambassador’s approval coming solely from the legitimate elected Nigerien authorities.”
The Niger coup leaders said recently that it had revoked several military accords Niger signed with France, a move Paris dismissed and said the military leaders have no legitimate authority to do so.
Also read,
Oparanya tells off Ruto after arrest, “You can’t force me to join you”
Billionaire Jaswant Singh Rai released as police deny holding him
Ruto breaks silence over the abduction of Billionaire Rai, Kabras sugar owner
Russia finally confirms Yevgeny Prigozhin was killed in plane crash
Raila faults DP Gachagua for disrespecting him, “We’re not age mates”
Follow us