US calls on Kenya to hold a free, and fair election, days after DP Ruto’s concerns
US calls on Kenya to hold a free, fair credible, and verifiable election, day after deputy president William Ruto’s concerns.
The United States has issued a statement calling on Kenya to hold a free, fair, credible, and verifiable election on August 9 polls.
The US statement comes days after DP Ruto told European Union Ambassadors that the names of one million voters in his strongholds had been removed from the IEBC voter register, claims that the IEBC Chairman, Wafula Chebukati, has refuted.
On Thursday, June 9, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said that the United States applauded the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission’s (IEBC) decision to clear four candidates to run for the presidency.
Blinken confirmed that the US will be watching the election, citing a discussion he had with Ambassador Raychelle Omamo, the Foreign Affairs Cabinet Secretary.
In addition, the US Secretary called on IEBC and the candidates to run peaceful campaigns.
“We welcome IEBC’s certification of candidates for Kenya’s August 9 General Election and the beginning of the electoral campaigns.
“As I said to Kenyan Cabinet Secretary, Omamo, last month, the United States stands with Kenyans in support of free, fair, and peaceful elections,” the Secretary of State stated.
Also read,
You are still in Azimio, court rejects Alfred Mutua’s application to leave the Azimio coalition
Ruto claims registered voters in his strongholds removed from IEBC
Follow us