Woman who stormed Ministry of Health Offices released on Ksh.10K cash bail, police unsure of the charges

Grace Njoki Mulei, one of the women who stormed Health Cabinet Secretary Deborah Barasa's press briefing at Afya House last week, has been released on a Ksh.10,000 police cash bail
Grace Njoki Mulei, one of the women who stormed Health Cabinet Secretary Deborah Barasa’s press briefing at Afya House last week, has been released on a Ksh.10,000 police cash bail.
This follows her arrest at Ladnan Hospital in Nairobi on Thursday night while she sought medical services.
Speaking outside Capitol Hill Police Station, Mulei’s lawyer Ndegwa Njiru revealed that the police were unsure of the charges to press against her.
“They said they would continue with the investigations. This is a botched scheme that’s why they cannot prefer a court date. We are ready for you in court Madam Baraza,” he said.
A statement by the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) last night stated that Njoki was arrested for causing a disturbance at the Ministry of Health Boardroom.
“A suspect has been arrested following reports of a disturbance at the Ministry of Health Boardroom at the Capital Hill Police Station,” the statement read in part.
“The suspect, Grace Njoki Mulei, was tracked down to Hombe Road, off Juja Road, and successfully apprehended. She has been taken to Capital Hill Police Station, where she will remain in custody until her court appearance scheduled for Friday.”
Addressing journalists on Friday morning, moments after being released, Njoki accused the police of allegedly violating her rights by arresting her without a reason.
While narrating the tribulation she underwent at the hands of the officers, Njoki claimed that she was arrested while she had gone for treatment at Ladnan Hospital in Nairobi.
She recalled sitting in the hospital room when she spotted a mysterious man trailing her, she revealed that the man trailed her from Kenyatta Hospital to Ladnan Hospital.
According to Njoki, moments after spotting the man, two people, a man and a woman approached her and told her to surrender or face arrest.
“I asked them why they were arresting me and where they were taking me but they refused to tell me. They told me they were not arresting me,” Njoki narrated.
Upon realising the well-orchestrated scheme to apprehend her, the 61-year-old disclosed that she immediately informed her son and husband about the incident.
However, the armed officers quickly took away her phone and barred her from reaching out to any of her family members and her lawyers.
Njoki said that despite attempts by health workers in the hospital to intervene, about 20 police officers she claimed were from Pangani Police Station forcefully took her away.
“I was carried away by force out of the hospital where I had gone to receive treatment. I was dragged, pinched and bullied. All through they never told me the reason for the arrest,” Njoki lamented.
“They insisted that I should write a statement but they had not told me anything. All through that time, I felt threatened because I suffered from a heart attack.”
Withdrawal of CJ Koome security unacceptable; Kalonzo
IG Kanja responds after withdrawal of CJ Koome security
Woman who stormed Ministry of Health offices over SHA failures arrested while in hospital
CS Muturi makes first public appearance after missing Cabinet meeting
Sudi, Farah Maalim among 10 leaders under investigations – NCIC (List)
Njoki revealed that after the arrest, the officers took her to three different buildings before being taken to Capital Hill Police Station, where she spent the night awaiting her arraignment today.
Njoki, a 61-year-old nurse, was among the patients who visited the Ministry of Health offices on January 15, 2025, to protest the Social Health Authority’s (SHA) inefficiencies.
SHA, the health scheme touted as one of President William Ruto’s legacy projects, replaced the National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF).
Njoki questioned why the scheme was not working; hence forcing patients to be stranded at hospitals.
The fracas led to Kenyatta National Hospital’s Chief Executive Officer Evanson Kamuri acknowledging delays in the SHA system for over 48 hours which paralysed services. He, however, said that the issue had been rectified.
“The recent system downtime experienced over the last two days temporarily disrupted some services, causing delays in patient clearance and administrative processes,” the statement read in part.
Sarah Wairimu to face fresh charges over the murder of her husband Tob Cohen in 2019
Media personality Janet Mbugua joins NTV 8 years after quitting Citizen TV
High Court deals blow to Gachagua in his impeachment case
CJ Koome security detail withdrawn
Protestors set Nakuru Park on fire in protest of a missing Brian Odhiambo
Defiant CS Muturi speaks after skipping two state functions
Follow us