Kenyans to pay more to use Nairobi Expressway as government increases toll charges
The government has increased the Nairobi Expressway toll charges in a move aimed at increasing revenue collection.
In a special Gazette Notice approved by Transport CS Kipchumba Murkomen, motorists seeking to move Mlolongo to Westlands will pay Ksh500, instead of the previous Ksh360 fee.
“In Exercise of the powers conferred by section 4B(3) of the Public Roads Tolls Act, the Cabinet Secretary for Roads and Transport approves the toll rates for the Nairobi Expressway as set out in the Schedule hereto,” it reads.
He said the price change was due to the depreciating Shilling against the US Dollar.
Moja Expressway confirmed the charges would take effect beginning January 1, 2024.
” From Mlolongo to Westlands, one will have to pay Ksh500 for Manual Toll Collection (MTC). However, those using the Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) will pay Ksh490,” the operator stated.
The least amount a motorist will pay is Ksh170 as opposed to the Ksh120 rate that was initially paid. Further, the highest amount paid is Ksh500, from the previous Ksh360 – indicating a rise of 38 per cent.
The new toll rates apply for saloon cars, while light vehicles with two axles and a high bonnet will have to pay 1.5 times the new amount.
On the other hand, heavy vehicles with fewer than four axles will pay four times the new rates while heavy vehicles with four or more axles will pay five times the amount.
According to the notice, the new rates are based on the prevailing exchange rate and changes in the Consumer Price Index (CPI).
According to the notice, to commute from the Nairobi East (Mlolongo) section of the Nairobi Expressway to the Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) motorists will be charged Ksh250 and not the previous Ksh180.
The same amount will apply to those exiting the Nairobi Expressway at the Eastern Bypass.
List of Nairobi Expressway new toll charges
- Westlands to Mlolongo and Syokimau —-Sh500
- Westlands to JKIA and Easter Bypass —-Sh410
- Westlands to Southern Bypass —-Sh330
- Westlands to Haile Selassie and Capital Centre —-Sh250
- Westlands to Museum Hill —–Sh170
The price from The Mall to all other exits will remain the same as from Westlands.
- Museum Hill to Mlolongo —-Sh500
- Museum Hill to Syokimau —-Sh410
- Museum Hill to JKIA and Eastern Bypass —-Sh330
- Museum Hill to Southern Bypass —–Sh250
- Museum Hill to Capital Centre and Haile Selassie —-Sh170
- Haile Selassie to Mlolongo and Syokimau —-Sh410
- Haile Selassie to JKIA —–Sh330
- Haile Selassie to Eastern Bypass and Westlands —–Sh250
- Haile Selassie to Southern Bypass, Capital Centre and Museum Hill —–Sh170
- Capital Centre to Mlolongo —-Sh410
- Capital Centre to Syokimau —-Sh330
- Capital Centre to JKIA, Eastern Bypass and Westlands —-Sh250
- Capital Centre to Southern Bypass, Haile Selassie and Museum Hill —-Sh170
- Southern Bypass to Mlolongo, Syokimau and Westlands —-Sh330
- Southern Bypass to JKIA and Museum Hill —–Sh250
- Southern Bypass to Eastern Bypass, Capital Centre and Haile Selassie —–Sh170
- Eastern Bypass to Mlolongo, Syokimau, Capital Centre and Haile Selassie —-Sh250
- Eastern Bypass to JKIA and Southern Bypass —-Sh170
- Eastern Bypass to Museum Hill —-Sh330
- Eastern Bypass to Westlands —-Sh410
- JKIA to Eastern Bypass —–Sh170
- JKIA to Southern Bypass and Capital Centre —–Sh250
- JKIA to Haile Selassie and Museum Hill —–Sh330
- JKIA to Westlands —–Sh410
- SGR to Eastern Bypass —-Sh170
- SGR to Southern Bypass —-Sh250
- SGR to Capital Centre and Haile Selassie —-Sh330
- SGR to Museuem Hill and Westlands —-410
- Syokimau to SGR —-Sh170
- Syokimau to Eastern Bypass —-Sh250
- Syokimau to Southern Bypass and Capital Centre —-Sh330
- Syokimau to Haile Selassie and Museum Hill —–Sh410
- Syokimau to Westlands —-Sh500
- Mlolongo to SGR and Eastern Bypass —-Sh250
- Mlolongo to Southern Bypass —-Sh330
- Mlolongo to Capital Centre and Haile Selassie —-Sh410
- Mlolongo to Museum Hill and Westlands —-Sh500