Kenyan killed on the battlefield fighting for Russia against Ukraine
Kenyan killed on the battlefield fighting for Russia against Ukraine
A Kenyan died on the battlefield fighting for Russia against the troops from Ukraine.
Martin Mburu, who hailed from Kirinyaga Central, flew to Russia a few weeks ago to take up a military job, oblivious to what lay ahead.
He was reportedly coerced into the Russian military and was to face off with the forces from Kyiv before he died.
Mburu died in combat on Thursday, November 27.
The matter had earlier been brought to the attention of the National Assembly on November 19 by Kirinyaga Central Gitari Gachoki, who alleged that Mburu, in the company of another Kenyan, was forced to sign a contract in the Russian military, without experience, to serve in the forces.
Mburu died just after deployment following their three-day training.
“The two are said to have undergone a brief three-day training before being deployed to the front lines of the ongoing Ukraine-Russia conflict.
This incident raises the concern about the safety and welfare of Kenyan citizens seeking opportunities abroad,” Gitari said.
Mburu’s death came weeks after Kenya sought Ukraine’s support in repatriating its citizens reportedly detained after being forced to fight on the Russian frontline.
On Monday, October 6, Foreign Affairs Principal Secretary Korir Sing’Oei announced that the government is working with Ukrainian officials to provide consular assistance and secure the safe return of the affected Kenyans.
U.S. halts all asylum decisions as Trump reverses immigration policies
7 people killed, hundreds of livestock stolen after bandit attacks in Meru
Sonko presses JSC to act on his complaint seeking removal of CJ Koome
Some coups in Africa are justifiable; President Kagame
Kenya is sliding into political chaos, IEBC unprepared for 2027 elections; LSK warns
Sing’Oei made the disclosure following talks with Ukraine’s new Ambassador to Kenya, Yurii Tokar, at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Nairobi. He noted that the meeting also touched on Kenya’s wider diplomatic agenda, including its pursuit of roles within major international institutions.
The appeal came just a week after Sing’Oei revealed that another Kenyan, irregularly conscripted into the Russian army, had been rescued and repatriated through Kenya’s diplomatic mission in Moscow.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, October 1, he identified the individual as Kevin Kariuki Nduma, the fourth Kenyan successfully brought home from the conflict zone.
Sing’Oei urged Kenyans seeking jobs abroad to exercise utmost caution when considering foreign employment offers.
The development followed the government’s earlier announcement of three other successful rescues.
Sing’Oei confirmed that Shaquille Wambo, Pius Mwika, and Derick Njaga were safely evacuated by the Kenyan Mission in Moscow and were en route to reunite with their families.
Moses Kuria responds to claims that he was sent to divide Mbeere North votes
Missing woman’s body discovered in family borehole in Molo
East African Court faults Kenya’s Supreme Court in Sonko impeachment case
There was no election in Malava – Senator Boni Khalwale
Follow us
