April 3, 2025

Poland hit by cash-for-visas scandal involving African migrants

Poland hit by cash-for-visas scandal involving African migrants

Parliament in Poland calls on the government to reveal what it knew about an escalating cash-for-visas scandal involving African and Asian Migrants

Parliament in Poland calls on the government to reveal what it knew about an escalating cash-for-visas scandal involving African and Asian Migrants.

Pressure is mounting on Poland’s government over a visa fraud scandal that has led to seven people being detained and the dismissal of the deputy foreign minister.

According to reports, Polish consulates reportedly handed out visas to migrants from Asia and Africa in exchange for thousands of dollars. 

The opposition has claimed that thousands of work visas for migrants were fast-tracked without proper checks in exchange for large sums of money. 

The scheme was reportedly run through Polish consulates and intermediary companies.

The allegations could prove damaging for the ruling nationalist Law and Justice (PiS) party, which is campaigning on an anti-immigration platform ahead of parliamentary elections next month.  

Poland’s government has accused the opposition of exaggerating the scale of the issue and says it is waiting for the results of an investigation.

The government in Poland released few details but media reports say migrants paid up to $5,000 (£4,000) each to speed up their work visa applications.

Authorities have said the scheme may have involved several hundred Polish work visas being issued in countries in the Middle East, as well as India, the Philippines, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. 

But the opposition said the actual number could be much higher. Donald Tusk, leader of the opposition Civic Platform party, said some 250,000 Polish work visas had been issued in Africa and Asia over the past 30 months in exchange for bribes, although he did not specify where his information came from.

He called it “probably the biggest scandal in Poland in the 21st century.”

Donald Tusk says as many as 250,000 visas were issued in exchange for bribes, but the government argues that’s an exaggeration.

Polish media, citing sources in the Foreign Ministry and PiS, reported that the scandal came to light after other EU states noticed an unusually high number of migrants entering with Polish visas.

Raila gives Ruto D- for his one year in office, promises to announce next cause to remove him from power

Ruto hails his tax measures to Silicon Valley investors in US

Babu Owino calls on Raila to pull out of the bipartisan talks

International terror suspect arrested after hiding in Kenya for THREE years

Sleeping late and waking up late increases diabetes risk; study report

Migrants with these visas are meant to stay and work in Poland. 

However, they can also travel to other countries within the EU, such as Germany, because Poland is part of the border-free Schengen area.

At the end of August, when the scandal first surfaced in the media, the deputy foreign minister in charge of consular matters, Piotr Wawrzyk, was sacked. His department was also raided by Poland’s anti-corruption agency.

On Thursday, prosecutors said seven people, none of them state officials, had been detained over the alleged visa fraud.

On Friday, Reuters news agency reported that the Foreign Ministry’s legal department head was fired.

The scandal comes at a difficult time for the ruling PiS party, which is seeking reelection for an unprecedented third term in the October 15 vote.

Although it is leading in opinion polls, it will likely fall short of winning enough support needed for a majority.

The party’s anti-immigration stance has been a key part of its campaign. The government has repeatedly refused to admit migrants under an EU burden-sharing program. 

It has also built a steel wall along the border with Belarus to block migrants from entering. 

Also read,

World Bank against Kenya’s domestic borrowing plan; calls for foreign revenue sourcing

US hails Kenya’s mobile money transfer M-pesa technology as extraordinary

KDF publishes the list of shortlisted candidates in the recent recruitment; How to check

Ovidio Guzman, son of feared Mexican drug lord ‘El Chapo’ extradited to US

Miguna hits out at Ruto’s economic advisor David Ndii over his economic recovery strategy ‘guesswork’ remarks

Follow us

FaceBook

Telegram

error: Content is protected !!