Junet Mohamed proposes scrapping public participation in govt projects

MP Junet Mohamed proposes scrapping public participation to fast-track government development
MP Junet Mohamed proposes scrapping public participation to fast-track government development.
Suna East MP Junet Mohamed has proposed the scrapping of public participation as a pre-condition prior to the implementation of development projects.
The legislator said the constitutional requirement impending progress of multi-billion megaprojects, which would otherwise be of great benefit to Kenyans.
“The government is elected, so it works for citizens, but the government is being sanctioned because it has to ask for permission from Kenyans, civil society, Judiciary, Parliament and religious organisations. When will the government work?” he posed.
Junet was speaking on Monday in Wundanyi, Taita Taveta county where he had accompanied President William Ruto on a development tour.
Also present were a host of political leaders and state officials, including Cabinet secretaries Hassan Joho (Mining and Blue Economy); Opiyo Wandayi (Energy and Petroleum); Senate Speaker Amason Kingi, and a number of MPs from the Coast region.
Junet said the recent cancellation of deals with India’s Adani Group is a perfect example of how the requirement for a nod from the public and other constitutional entities was stiffling development in the country.
“This thing of asking for permission from everyone must end,” the Minority Leader in the National Assembly said.
“Our airport is in a poor state; investors came from outside to help us refurbish the airport, (but) the President said if citizens don’t want it, we have to drop it.”
ACK Bungoma Bishop receives KSh 5m donation from Ruto, vows to keep it
Senator blasts Ruto CS over formation of a taskforce to deal with rat and snail menace
US Embassy responds to banning Oscar Sudi and Murkomen from traveling to America
Karua unable to represent Besigye at the General Court Martial
Nelson Havi reveals his net worth after announcing 2027 presidential bid
Nelson Havi announces presidential bid
“Hata juzi mmeona airport yetu iko mbaya sana. Wawekezaji walitoka nje kusaidia… Rais akasema kama wananchi wamekataa, tumewacha,” he said. “Sasa hao waliopiga kelele wako wapi? Airport lazima itengenezwe.”
Using Tanzania as an example, Junet questioned why Kenya could not proceed with the same investor, who is currently collaborating with Tanzania to revamp their airports.
“Nchi jirani, Tanzania, wanafanya kazi na mwekezaji huyo. Wao ni wazimu? Kichwa yao imeruka?” he posed rhetorically.
During his State of the Nation Address on November 21, President William Ruto ordered the cancellation of all finalised and pending deals with Adani Group based on “new information provided by our investigative agencies and partner nations.”.
Kenya had already signed a Sh96 billion deal for Adani Group to manage Kenya Electricity Transmission Company (Ketraco) transmission lines for 30 years and was on the verge of inking another deal for the company to upgrade the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) and manage it for 30 years as well.
Both deals were very unpopular with Kenyans, with the proposed airport takeover sparking a workers’ strike as pressure mounted for the government to drop it over concerns of corruption.
Also read,
Joe Biden pardons son ahead of his departure from office
No need for opposition as Ruto’s manifesto resembles that of Azimio; Junet Mohamed
Government issues directive to Huduma Centers over SHA registration
Medical Training student stabbed to death in fight with girlfriend
Gachagua ally in coma after being abducted at Limuru burial
Follow us