April 3, 2025

Ruto orders French company to leave over road tender

Ruto orders French company to leave over road tender

President Ruto orders the French company to leave after the Nakuru-Mau Summit road tender withdrawal

President Ruto orders the French company to leave after the Nakuru-Mau Summit road tender withdrawal.

President William Ruto on Thursday withdrew a multi-billion road construction tender from a French company after it failed to fulfil an agreement it reached with the government.

The Head of State who spoke during the groundbreaking of a powerplant in Menengai, Nakuru County, ordered the private company to halt further engagement with the government and leave the country immediately.

Ruto while addressing the delegates, faulted the French company for failing to construct a dual-carriage highway from Nakuru to Nairobi despite signing a Public-Private Partnership agreement with the government.

President Ruto blamed the heavy traffic snarl-up along the Nakuru-Nairobi route to the contractor’s negligence.

While granting the orders, the Head of State assured the stakeholders that the government had already commenced talks with another contractor to take over.

“Travelling from Nakuru to Nairobi has posed a significant challenge because of the traffic snarl-up. I want to tell you that the French company that was granted the tender to construct the road has failed in its duties and now I have told them to leave,” Ruto said.

“So I told them to leave so that we can find another contractor because the highway from Nakuru through Mau Summit to Nairobi we must make it a dual-carriageway so that people from Nakuru and Western Kenya can go home easily,” he added.

While reiterating the matter, Ruto directed the Ministry of Transport to work handily with officials from the Nakuru County Government to ensure the traffic menace along the route that leads to the capital city is resolved.

President Ruto’s directive comes against the backdrop of the planned construction of the Nairobi-Malaba Expressway. The National Treasury on Wednesday, October 23 announced the government’s intention to construct a direct route from Nairobi to Malaba in the next couple of years.

Kioni walks out of live interview over Farah Maalim controversial remarks on Gen Z

Ruto ally reveals many failed attempts to save impeached DP Gachagua

The body of JKUAT student retrieved from Makueni river

Gen Z ranked as among the top heroes in Kenya – Infotrak Poll

Blow to Gachagua as High Court okays DCJ Mwilu selection of panel

Kenyans have until Friday to give views on 7-year term limit for President, MPs

Speaking at the World Bank and International Monetary Fund (IMF) annual summit in the United States, Treasury Cabinet Secretary John Mbadi noted that the Expressway would significantly enhance trade and regional connectivity.

According to CS Mbadi, the government was in talks with the private sector for the construction of the major highway through a Public Private Partnership (PPP).

He emphasized the government’s goal of utilizing PPPs to shift the burden of major infrastructure projects off the government’s balance sheet and reduce reliance on the exchequer for funding.

“Through a PPP arrangement, we can fast-track its construction and management without burdening the exchequer. PPPs should be reserved for high-priority projects where the benefits clearly outweigh the risks,” the CS noted.

Also read,

Why Safaricom is involved in SHA; Peter Ndegwa

Kenya’s democracy is at risk without IEBC commissioners; U.S. Embassy warns

Kiambu Senator Karungo wa Thang’wa proposes 4-year term limit for president

KRA to track new mobile phones for tax compliance

Applicants for a UK visa to be directed to VFS Global

KDF officer arrested over brutal murder of UoN student

Missing Wells Fargo HR manager found dead

Follow us

FaceBook

Telegram

error: Content is protected !!