Sakaja breaks silence after being stoned during his visit at Toi market

Nairobi County Governor Johnson Sakaja says he will help the victims of the Toi market fire despite being stoned during his visit to the site
Nairobi County Governor Johnson Sakaja says he will help the victims of the Toi market fire despite being stoned during his visit to the site.
Nairobi County Governor Johnson Sakaja has broken his silence moments after he received a hostile reception at Toi Market in Kibra Sub-County.
Sakaja had on Saturday, August 3, 2024, visited the market after a fire in the wee hours consumed property of unknown value, and claimed four lives.
However, Sakaja was forced to flee after angry residents pelted him with stones after they were unsatisfied with the way his administration responded to the fire.
Taking to his official X account after his Kibra tour, Sakaja said that there is nothing that is going to stop him from helping the victims.
He stated that over the last night, seven different fires had been witnessed in Nairobi.
Sakaja promised to support the families of those who lost their loved ones in the Toi Market inferno and pledged to help the traders rebuild their stalls and get back on their feet.
Ministry of Health issues update on Mpox outbreak
How Raila will decide on Kenya’s next president; Ahmednasir Abdullahi
Treasury CS nominee John Mbadi reveals his net worth
John Mbadi reveals how he’ll raise additional Ksh600 billion in revenue if confirmed CS Treasury
Outrage over impunity of matatu owned by the son of senior most government official
“Visited traders affected by fire incidents at Toi Market and later at Umoja 2. Poleni sana to all affected and condolences to the bereaved. Sadly, we lost 4 souls in the Toi inferno. We will support their families during this trying time. For the traders, we will rebuild and help you get back to your feet,” Sakaja stated.
Sakaja blamed unnamed people for the incitement that saw him receive a hostile reception at Toi Market.
“Thanks to the first responders and all who tried to help salvage the situation. We had a total of 7 fires across the city last night, and all affected will get support. For those who caused incitement, it is well, nothing will stop us from supporting our people,” Sakaja stated in a statement shared via his official X account.
According to Toi Market chair Kenneth Jumba, the fire that he says was started intentionally, affected at least 2,000 traders.
Also read,
Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja heckled and stoned after visiting Toi market (VIDEO)
Kalonzo slams Interior CS nominee Kithure Kindiki
Trade CS nominee Salim Mvurya reveals his net worth as he fights claims of laziness
Kenya doesn’t need finance bill; Treasury CS nominee Mbadi
EACC clarifies reports of refusing to clear Oparanya for cabinet nomination
Early morning fire at Toi market claims four lives including a child
Why I handed Treasury Ministry to ODM; Ruto
Follow us