April 3, 2025

Safaricom responds to reports of canceling payments of Starlink via Mpesa

Safaricom responds to reports of canceling payments of Starlink via Mpesa

Telecommunication giant Safaricom PLC has denied social media reports that it has canceled the payment of Starlink Internet via Mpesa

Telecommunication giant Safaricom PLC has denied social media reports that it has canceled the payment of Starlink Internet via Mpesa. 

This comes after a section of netizens on X claimed that the telecommunication company had canceled Starlink internet payments through the popular Mpesa service.

In a statement on Wednesday, Safaricom said the option is still there and urged Kenyans facing challenges to reach out to the company.

“This isn’t factual, the option is still there. Please reach out to us in case of any challenges faced,” Safaricom stated.

Starlink was developed by SpaceX, a private aerospace manufacturer and space transportation company owned by X owner Elon Musk. 

Its internet connection relies on satellites, unlike Safaricom’s internet, which uses undersea cables that have previously been destroyed, causing internet outages.

Safaricom has been on the spot in recent days after it asked the Communications Authority of Kenya (CA) to reconsider its decision to grant a license to Starlink internet providers.

The telco asked the regulator to assess the risks of allowing satellite internet providers to operate without an agreement with local companies. 

“Satellite service providers should therefore not be granted a license directly/independently but rather only permitted to operate under the license rights of the local licensee,” part of the memo by Safaricom said.

Starlink plans to bring satellite internet direct to mobile phones

Government suspends exportation of raw Veneer

It was wrong for Ruto to link the Ford Foundation to protests; Ambassador Whitman

Why I skipped Raila’s AUC bid launch at State House; Kalonzo

Babu Owino hits back at President Museveni after his remarks at State House Nairobi

President Museveni accuses Babu Owino of dealings to incite chaos in Uganda

CA in a response said Safaricom is free to raise regulatory concerns about independent satellite providers including Starlink.

“Licensees or service providers are free to raise any issue in the market with the ICT regulator,” CA stated.

The regulator noted that it independently examines issues raised and responds appropriately.

“The Authority independently examines such issues within its mandate and regulatory framework and responds appropriately. It is a normal practice as the Authority seeks to facilitate the development of the dynamic and rapidly evolving ICT sector,” the authority added.

A section of leaders including Murang’a Governor Irungu Kang’ata have come out to defend Starlink saying its internet speeds are remarkable, unlike Safaricom which has low internet speeds and frequently drops.

“Government should ignore Safaricom. Muranga automated its healthcare. Safaricom’s internet speed drops frequently. The speed is so low. At times, 4.7Mbps. New Starlink internet speeds hit 100 Mbps. This saves lives. And it’s not affected by weather,” Kang’ata remarked. 

Also read,

Details of DP Gachagua meeting with 11 Mt Kenya senators

Huge fire breaks out along Thika Road

Karua responds after Raila removed her from his social media profile

Why IMF canceled Ksh 131B fund for Kenya days before disbursement; Ambassador Whitman

Raila removes Martha Karua from social media profile photos

Wamuchomba hails Ruto for retiring Raila Odinga ‘Please don’t come back’

Follow us

FaceBook

Telegram

error: Content is protected !!