Three people dead, 37 injured in Majengo protests over police shooting dead teenager

The Majengo area in Pumwani, Nairobi witnessed violent protests early Wednesday morning after a police officer allegedly shot two people on Tuesday night
The Majengo area in Pumwani, Nairobi witnessed violent protests early Wednesday morning after a police officer allegedly shot two people on Tuesday night.
Another resident of Majengo, Pumwani ward in Kamukunji sub-county, has succumbed to gunshot wounds bringing the death toll to three.
Dennis Muthui was shot when protests erupted in Majengo in Kamkunji Constituency on Wednesday.
According to Vocal Africa, Muthui was shot in the stomach and died on the spot on Wednesday morning, near the Gikomba area.
His body was later transported to the City Mortuary for further examination.
The protests started after a 17-year-old Ibrahim Ramadhan was shot by police in Majengo, Pumwani ward in Kamukunji sub-county at night.
He was rushed to Kenyatta National Hospital for treatment but despite the efforts of medical staff, Ibrahim succumbed to his injuries while receiving care.
Said Athman Kamukunji, Human rights defenders, have raised concerns over the escalating violence.
As of Wednesday, they reported that two youths had already lost their lives, with six others left in critical condition by the police during the protests.
Kenya Red Cross officials said they are responding to the situation, revealing that two people were evacuated to Kenyatta National Hospital, while another was taken to Pumwani Hospital in critical condition.
Additionally, 37 other individuals, who sustained various injuries, were also evacuated for medical treatment.
The Majengo area in Pumwani, Nairobi witnessed violent protests early Wednesday morning after a police officer allegedly shot two people on Tuesday night.
Angry youths took to the streets, setting fire to the area chief’s office, police vehicles, and several private cars.
The youths also razed the Pumwani police post which is located within the chief’s office.
Former UN employee found guilty of murder of his wife
UDA National Steering Committee set to ratify working arrangement with Raila
Activists file petition seek President Ruto ouster over abuse of power
Why I have joined the opposition coalition – Morara Kebaso
SHIF faces imminent collapse as funding crisis deepens
Auditor General raises red flag that Ksh.8B Hustler Fund could be lost
The unrest began late Tuesday night when demonstrators blocked roads with stones and chanted anti-police slogans. The situation escalated as thick smoke filled the air.
On Wednesday morning, additional police officers were deployed to contain the situation, but they were met with resistance from stone-throwing protesters.
Officers fired live bullets into the air in an attempt to disperse the crowd, but the confrontation turned the area into a battle zone filled with smoke, tear gas, and flames.
Protestors who were injured were treated at Care Hospital in Eastleigh while those who were seriously injured were taken to Mama Lucy Hospital.
The unrest has disrupted several schools in California, with teachers and students staying away due to fears of further escalation.
Meanwhile, Burma Market in Shauri Moyo and Gikomba Market remain closed.
Court extends orders blocking CJ Koome, Supreme Court Judges ouster bid
Government to conduct DNA tests on Kenyans giving birth abroad upon return – CS Mutua
Body of a missing woman found dumped in a borehole
Governor Kihika addresses reports of expired Ksh.2M drugs in Nakuru County Referral Hospital
Chaos in Nairobi as angry residents burn 2 police vehicles
Ruto issues directive to IEBC selection panel
Follow us