May 19, 2026

Super Metro to review fares after strike suspension

Super Metro to review fares after strike suspension

Super Metro to review fares after strike suspension

Popular commuter bus company, Super Metro, now says that it will review its fares downwards following a temporary agreement with the government that has seen diesel prices reduced by Ksh10 per litre, with expectations of a further Ksh10 reduction next week.

The move follows a two-day nationwide transport sector strike that disrupted business operations and the movement of people and goods across major towns.

The strike, which involved all Public Service Vehicle (PSV) operators, led to disruption in movement, forcing many Kenyans to walk long distances or seek alternative means of travel.

In a statement on Tuesday, May 19, moments after a successful talk between the government and transport operators, Super Metro Chairperson Nelson Mwangi Nduki thanked all stakeholders for their patience and support during the strike period.

“Thank you very much to all our stakeholders, our investors, drivers, conductors, managers, route marshals, inspectors, and our valued passengers, for your unwavering support and patience during the two-day strike period,” he said.

He explained that the decision to engage the government was driven by the need to ease pressure on operators and commuters affected by high diesel prices.

“We made deliberate efforts to engage the government with the aim of reducing diesel prices by Ksh40 to ease the burden on Kenyans,” Nduki stated.

Governor Orengo faces impeachment over remarks on Gladys Wanga

Mbooni Girls High School closed over diarrhoea outbreak

Matatu Owners suspended strike for one week

An official who intercepted CS Wandayi’s presser explains his outburst

While acknowledging that the outcome fell short of initial demands, he noted that some progress had been achieved.

“While this has been a challenging process, we have successfully secured a reduction of Ksh10 per litre, with the expectation of a further Ksh10 reduction in the coming week,” he added.

Following the agreement, Super Metro confirmed that it has suspended the strike and resumed normal operations across all routes.

The Sacco further indicated that it will review fares in line with the fuel price reduction, with the aim of ensuring commuters benefit from the adjustments as well.

“We will also review our fares in line with the fuel price reduction to ensure our passengers benefit accordingly,” Nduki said, while reaffirming transport operators’ commitment to continued engagement on fuel pricing issues.

TSC announces new benefits plan for resigned, dismissed teachers

Central Police Station OCS arrested after releasing Fuel protest suspects

New details emerge as DCI takes over investigations into Rachel Wandeto’s murder

Respect the Odinga family; Raila Jnr to CS Mbadi

Follow us

FaceBook

Telegram