Around 174 students from Amabuko Secondary School in Kisii admitted in hospital over an unknown illness which some sources suspected to be food poisoning.
According to reports, the first case was reported in the wee hours of Monday, raising alarm over the quality of food served at the institutions.
The students were rushed to Keroka Sub-County Hospital, Ichuni Mission Hospital and Gucha Hospital after reporting severe abdominal pains and diarrhoea.
The Rigoma Ward MCA Nyambega Gisesa stated in a statement that response time was prompt following the reports.
“Following a suspected case of usage of contaminated water and food poisoning at Amabuko Secondary School, our medics at Keroka Hospital are offering services to the affected students. There are adequate medical supplies and our well-trained personnel are handling the emergency,” he stated.
Area residents who rushed to the institution to help with the evacuation believed that the poisoning was caused by a meal of beans and vegetables the students indulged in on Sunday night.
Meanwhile, experts have raised concerns over the quality of living in boarding schools as populations grow while investments in expanding infrastructure such as classes and dormitories remain low.
Most schools are currently facing sanitation challenges with some struggling to meet water needs among other challenges.
The quality of the meals has also come under scrutiny as school administrations struggle to make ends meet due to the rising cost of living.
This comes in wake of many schools sending home students after an outbreak of an unknown diseases.
St. Theresa’s Eregi Girls High School in October sent home its students after an outbreak of an unknown disease broke out at the institution.
Earlier in the year, Mukumu Girls was shut down after a severe case of diarrhoea broke out at the institution and claimed four lives, three students and a teacher.