KCPE candidate who scored 395 in the 2022 exam succumbs to an infection obtained from a botched circumcision.
A family in Tarakwa, Uasin Gishu County, is grieving the loss of their 14-year-old son, who passed away from an infection inflicted by a botched circumcision on December 3.
The teen had just completed his primary school leaving exam scoring 395 marks.
The 2022 KCPE candidate had attended the customary procedures with his four cousins at his uncle’s house in Lelmokwo, Nandi County on the day of the initiation.
However, he started vomiting, lost his appetite, and looked weak two days later.
He also experienced swelling in his legs and complained of stomach and chest aches according to his father.
“Eighteen days after the initiation, and after an array of treatments, his condition worsened, forcing us to refer him for specialized treatment in an Eldoret hospital. Since he was in bad shape, he was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) after he was diagnosed with septic shock,” disclosed the father.
“He died three days later while still undergoing treatment. The other four initiates were healthy and graduated on December 28.”
Septic shock is a widespread infection causing organ failure and dangerously low blood pressure.
The symptoms include pale and cool arms and legs, chills, difficulty in breathing, and decreased urine output. Mental confusion and disorientation may also develop quickly. Mr. Kirwa blamed the death of his last-born son on a delay in diagnosing the condition. “He was being treated for the wrong ailments,” he said.
Mr. Kirwa is calling on parents and guardians to be extra vigilant during such initiation ceremonies.
“Majority of children in the region are now under seclusion and such ailments might occur. They should rush their children to the hospital without hesitation to avoid life loss,” said the distraught father.