-9.3 C
New York
Saturday, February 4, 2023

Buy now

Pakistani Prime Minister responds after top journalist Arshad Sharif shot dead in Nairobi

Pakistani Prime Minister responds after top journalist Arshad Sharif shot dead in Nairobi under unclear circumstances. 

A family in Pakistan is mourning the death of a revered journalist who was reportedly shot dead while in Kenya.

Mr. Arshad Sharif was shot dead in Nairobi on Sunday night under unclear circumstances. 

Early reports indicate that Mr. Sharif was traveling back to Nairobi from Magadi with his driver when he met his death at a police roadblock. 

The car had been flagged down by officers, though the police are yet to officially comment on the matter.

His driver was reportedly injured and taken to hospital.

The news of his demise was first announced on social media by his wife Javeria Siddique. 

“I lost a friend, husband, and my favourite journalist Arshad Sharif today, as per police he was shot in Kenya.

“Respect our privacy and in the name of breaking pls don’t share our family pics, personal details, and his last pictures from the hospital. Remember us in your prayers,” noted Siddique.

Meanwhile, while offering his condolences to the journalist’s family Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif responded to Arshad Sharif’s death.

“I am deeply saddened by the shocking news of journalist Arshad Sharif’s tragic death. May Allah SWT grant him a place in Heaven. My deep condolences and prayers to the bereaved family.”

The day Raila was twice rescued from the hands of death prior to the elections

Details on the circumstances surrounding his death remain scanty. 

The award-winning journalist was vocally opposed to the ongoing political developments in Pakistan. Sharif specialized in investigative journalism and covered many political events in his country for national and international news organizations.

Sharif, a fierce critic of the Pakistani government, had left the country earlier this year after a series of sedition cases were filed against him. 

The journalism fraternity in Pakistan is demanding an investigation into his death. 

Sharif reportedly flew to Kenya from London after parting ways with his former employer following an interview that aired on the channel.

According to Dawn.com, a media outlet, the former news anchor was facing multiple sedition cases over his programming.

The interview in question is reported to have taken place on August 8 where the channel PTI leader Dr. Shahbaz Gill.

Soon After, ARY News parted ways with the anchor over unexplained differences.

After resigning from the channel, the News anchor is said to have traveled to Dubai before heading to London and eventually traveling to Kenya.

His body is lying at Chiromo Mortuary in Nairobi.

Also read,

Four arrested DCI sleuths accuse the state of mistreatment over failure to “fix” their senior bosses

Officers of disbanded DCI Unit decry being subjected to unnecessary questioning with four put in detention

An Insider reveals roles played by the disbanded DCI Special Service Unit (SSU) 

Follow us



Stay Connected


Latest Articles