Government launches a digital platform and USSD for payment of all services in a bid to streamline the payment processes.
Njuguna Ndung’u, the Treasury Cabinet Secretary (CS), has published a framework for digital payments for all public services.
The program would streamline the payment process in various government ministries and state entities.
It also contains a Paybill and USSD code.
The declaration was made by Prof. Ndung’u, a former governor of the Central Bank of Kenya (CBK), in a Gazette Notice Vol. CXXIV—No. 287 dated December 30, 2022.
“Government of the Republic of Kenya has developed the eCitizen.go.ke Digital Payments Platform through which citizens and all persons will be able to pay for government services,” the notice read in part.
“This Digital Payments platform is integrated with all available electronic payment platforms in Kenya, including mobile money telephone payment services,” the notice read further.
According to the notice, the new payment plan will provide the widest possible access to government services as well as advance the principle of openness and accountability.
The Kenyan government wholly owns and operates the eCitizen.go.ke internet platform, which utilizes National Identity Cards as a distinctive identity for those making payments.
Kenyans can also use: Pay Bill Number 222 222; Short Code Number 222; or USSD Number 2222.
The government has listed services that have been made available on the platform.
- Application or replacement of passports through the Directorate of Immigration Services.
- Registration of new businesses.
- Services offered by the Directorate of Criminal Investigations.
- Applications intended for the Office of the Attorney General.
- Services offered by National Transport and Safety Authority.
- New and old applications from Civil Registration Department.
- Mining licenses and permits from the Ministry of Mining.
- Office of the Registrar of Political Parties.
- Ministry of Lands and Physical Planning.
- Higher Education Loans Board services.
- The Kenya Revenue Authority service portal.
- National Construction Authority.
- Licenses and permits from National Environment Management Authority.
- Kenya National Qualifications Authority
- National Youth Council.
- Registrar of Societies.
The portal also offers a payment program for select counties in Kenya.