12.3 C
New York
Monday, March 4, 2024

Buy now

Ruto’s name dragged into contested South B land saga

President Ruto’s name dragged into the dispute over the ownership of South B land as residents took to the streets over alleged grabbing.

Businesses in South B estate were shut down for most of Tuesday morning as people demonstrated against a private developer who they said had allegedly grabbed land in the area.

Residents who were joined by South B MCA Waithera Chege and former Starehe MP Charles Njagua demanded the county and the national government to protect the property designated for the development of the lone market in the ward.

They complained that the ownership of the disputed land, with the registration number LR NO 209/12621,  was taking too long to resolve.

“We have been selling our items by the roadside because we don’t have a market in South B. We need our President to save us from land grabbers,” resident Joseph Musyoka said.

“The government should fight for its people and this includes keeping off private developers from encroaching on public land,” trader Monica Waithera said.

This comes after a developer, believed to be a sitting MP, caused an uproar after sending goons to demolish structures that were erected on the contested land.

What raised eyebrows, was that the demolition happened at night and an iron sheet fence was erected around it.

However, according to reports, on Monday a security officer came to the contested land, claiming to have been sent by President Ruto over the issue.

The security officer claimed that matters on the disputed land had been settled and belonged to the private developer.

However, MCA Chege condemned the remarks, saying the name of the President was being evoked in vain.

MCA charged for defiling 14-year-old minor

Revealed! Why U.S. rufused to send its soldiers to Haiti opting for Kenya

Haiti organisations write to AU over Kenya’s deployment mission

Employers raise alarm as deductions cross two-thirds of pay

KDF soldier kills self after setting his house ablaze inside barracks​​

“Dragging the name of the President in such an illegal matter is utmost disrespect. You cannot come and threaten our people on their own land,” she said.

Waithera, who is also the deputy minority leader in the county assembly, said that the matter was before the county assembly of Nairobi, which has yet to start the probe.

“The matter will be deliberated and the verdict will be made on the ownership of the land. But I will not sit back and watch public land being taken by land grabbers,” she said.

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations in a letter dated September 19, 2023, had notified the Nairobi government of a probe pertaining to the alleged land fraud.

The DCI requested the county to furnish them with copies of survey plans, minutes of allocation, beacon certificates, letters of allotment, and any other information that may assist in their investigations.

Also read,

Former Uhuru CS questions rationale behind Kenya, haiti mission amid Al-Shabaab threat

World Bank to offer KSh15bn recovery cash to Kenyan SMEs

Main suspect who stabbed Nairobi Hospital director, Eric Maigo 25 times to death arrested

Ruto turned Nairobi River Commission into a joke after appointing Waititu; Ahmednasir

EACC exposes hundreds of senior civil servants with forged academic certificates

Hard times as Kenya’s debt interest payment rise to a record Sh231.6bn 

Follow us

FaceBook

Telegram

Stay Connected

0FansLike
3,913FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe

Latest Articles